Australian style resume
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2019 by Dinkar Sigdel — No comments
The main purpose of a resume or curriculum vitae is to provide a summary of your key skills, knowledge and experience. This is an advertisement of you to communicate your qualities and abilities which can lead to securing an interview therefore it must be well written and organised.
- Keep in mind your resume, cover letter and all communication with employers needs to be about what you can do for them not what they can do for you.
- Recruiters spend less than 30 seconds to scan through a resume, so it needs to capture the viewer’s attention
- Use a simple layout
- Don’t include your birth date, marital status, personal photos (unless you’re applying for a fashion job?)
- If you have a complex long name, difficult to pronounce create a nick name and use in all written communication
- Add key skills and work experience at the top of the resume. Example order of contents
- Key Skills
- Career Objective
- Achievements eg awards
- Education and Training
- Referees – please inform them in advance so they can be prepared
- See an example