How to extend Student Australian Visa?

Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2019 by Sweta MaharjanNo comments


Are you worried about your expiring student visa?

It's a great relief that there are lots of options to extend your student visa if you want to continue studying in Australia. Whether you want to stay in Australia to pursue a short course for a degree or enroll in Masters or Ph.D., you can simply apply for an extension of your student visa.

Student Visa is a must to stay and study in Australia. So, you should make sure to submit your renewal application between four months and six weeks before it expires to stay lawfully.  

1. Enroll and Request a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE):

Now, the first thing you should do is decide the course you want to pursue. After that, you can request a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). As you can't extend your student visa until you decide to extend your course of study, you need to enroll in a course and get your CoE from your favorite university. CoE is the most needed document to apply for a new student visa.


2. OSHC (overseas student’s health cover) Extension

Like your previous student visa, students need to renew the health cover certificate to get the new visa. You need to extend your OSHC policy to line up with your new visa periods. You need to document evidence of the student's current OSHC submitted to DIBP for the visa extension process. If your medical report and chest X-ray passed more than a year, it’s needed to be done again for the student visa extension process.  The chest X-ray is mandatory if you are a student for over 16 years. 


 3. Documentation:

Once you’ve got all the necessary documents (CoE, Health Examinations, and OSHC) in hand, you’re now set to apply for your new student visa. The easiest way to do is by using the Document Checklist Tool to check what you’ll need to attach to your application. For most students, this will include personal documents, Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) codes, OSHC policy number, HAP ID number, Personal statement to satisfy the GTE requirement, and Evidence of financial capacity to support yourself in Australia.


4. Ask the Experts:

Migration laws are complex and continuously changing. A migration assessment with a Registered Australian Immigration Specialist is a very important and worthwhile part of the migration process as it will allow you to obtain precise information for your situation based on updated legislation. If you’re finding the visa renewal process confusing, you can ask for support from experts. IMMI Australia and Student Job Australia provide free counseling to international students and help them choose the course that suits them and also assist with other requirements needed and connect to employers too. IMMI Australia has links with multiple educational institutions and can assist you at every step of your application process.


5. Apply Online:

Once you’ve got the whole things prepared for your application, you can submit it online to the Department of Home Affairs. You can submit the application yourself or take the help of a registered migration agent for the visa application. Once you apply, the Home Office will send you a letter of acknowledgment, along with a copy of a Bridging Visa (BVA). This bridging visa will allow you to stay lawfully in Australia until your new visa is processed.


6. Getting Your Student Visa Approved

After your application, you will receive an acknowledgment letter from the Department of Home Affairs along with a copy of the bridging visa via email. You will also have to be compelled to check the Health Assessment tab in your ImmiAccount and your email address frequently to make sure no further health checkups or documentation are needed throughout the processing time.

The Department of Home Affairs will send you your new visa via email if your visa is granted successfully. Now, you are all set to start out your next study journey in Australia!

Previous PostNext Post

No comments on "How to extend Student Australian Visa?"